Several aspirants from Belagavi missed examination for police posts | Delay in departure of Train


Published: 06/08/2018



Several aspirants from Belagavi and Dharwad districts missed the examination for police posts in the District Armed Reserve on Sunday in Bengaluru allegedly owing to the delay in departure of Rani Chennamma Express train on Saturday night.

Technical snag is said to be the cause for the delay in the train’s arrival. The candidates, who could not attend the examination, held a protest at the railway station in Hubballi on Sunday.

They withdrew their protest after Chief Minister H.D. Kumaraswamy said that they will be given one more opportunity to take the test.

According to the candidates, they were headed to Bengaluru to take the examination scheduled at 10.30 a.m. on Sunday. But the train, which was supposed to reach Hubballi at 10.30 p.m. on Saturday, arrived at 6 a.m. though it left Belagavi station on time. South Western Railway (SWR) Divisional Regional Manager Rajesh Mohan and Central Public Relations Officer E. Vijaya told presspersons that one of the two engines of a goods train carrying coal from Goa to Hubballi broke down near Mugad, on the outskirts of Dharwad on Saturday around 10 p.m. The Railway officials tried to clear the track using passenger locomotive of Rani Chennamma Express. But the passenger locomotive could not push the goods train from behind for more than 2 km.

Meanwhile, SWR officials dispatched an additional goods locomotive and cleared the track.

The engine of Rani Chennama Express returned to the train at Kambarganvi station at 1.08 a.m. The train was ready for departure but some passengers were agitated over the delay and did not allow the train to move. This resulted in further delay. The Railway Protection Force arrived at Kambarganvi at 3.20 a.m. and after clearing the agitators from the site, the train moved at 3.55 a.m. Even after the train started to move, there were multiple incidents of pulling the alarm chains that led to further delay, they said.

They added that from the Railway’s side, the train was delayed by one-and-a-half hour and that time could have been covered up if the protesters had allowed the train to depart and they could have reached Bengaluru by 8.30 a.m. on Sunday. However, the aspirants staged a protest and the train was delayed by over three-and-half-hours. Sincere efforts were made to clear the track at the earliest and a departmental inquiry would be conducted. However, SWR would consider the incident as a special case and no case would be filed against protesters, they said.

However, some of the aspirants said that the Railway officials removed the engine of Rani Channamma Express and they were made to wait at a non-descriptive station in darkness for almost four hours.

The aspirants started protesting only after the officials started misbehaving with the passengers and we realised that we cannot reach Bengaluru on time, they alleged and added that the examinations would not have been postponed if they had not resorted to a protest.